Monday, May 10, 2010

Good-Bye to My Joffrey Favorite

Having lived in Chicago a relatively short time (under two years), and only having become acquainted with the Joffrey Ballet beyond the name and legend when I first saw them perform in their 2009 spring production and thereafter, I have missed many years of great dancing by a company I highly admire and respect. Only this year did I truly become familiar with the faces and dancing styles of each of the company's dancers, watching them in performance after performance, either as a reviewer for Clef Notes, or for personal pleasure. In that time, I have developed favorites and I am sad to see my most favorite male dancer, Calvin Kitten, say adieu to the Joffrey.

I had seen Kitten perform prior to 2009’s Nutcracker; so I recognized him immediately as Fritz, in the opening scene of this year’s holiday production. Then, of course, I was enthralled by his dancing--technically superior, athletic, spirited, yet with a refined grace--as the Snow Prince. I remember writing in my review that he actually stole the Snow Scene—a scene that I had, up until then, associated with its light, airy, graceful choreography for female dancers, particularly for the Snow Queen. But Kitten is such a dynamo, and he has an indescribable presence. You simply cannot avert your eyes when he’s on stage and after he's gone, the impression lingers.

It was after submitting my Nutcracker review that I read on Fabrice Calmels’ blog that Kitten would be retiring this season, and I wished I had been able to write in my review some kind of tribute to his last opening night as the Snow Prince with the Joffrey—because Kitten burst on the stage “like a winter wind” (as I wrote in the review), and there will be a certain energy lacking without him. I will miss Kitten’s sophisticated elegance and clean technique next season, as my eyes will no doubt fruitlessly try to seek him out on the stage. But I’m glad I had the chance to be amazed by him before he concluded his Joffrey chapter.

Last week, the Chicago Sun-Times's Hedy Weiss wrote a nice send-off article for both Calvin Kitten and Suzanne Lopez, who are leaving the Joffrey this season. Check it out if you're a fan of either of these fabulous dancers. In all likelihood, Calvin Kitten will never see this blog post. But if he does, Calvin, best of luck to you! You will be missed by your many admirers!

No comments:

Post a Comment