Monday, May 10, 2010

The Enterprising Kitchen's Bubble Bash

Facebook leads me to great finds sometimes, thanks to wall posts and fan pages posted by my friends and acquaintances. Last Thursday, my friend Marcy posted a link to The Enterprising Kitchen’s (TEK) “Bubble Bash.” I hadn’t heard of TEK, but I was intrigued by the name of the benefit, so I followed the link to the website, where I read about this great organization and what they’re doing for women. TEK is a non-profit organization that helps low-income women learn job skills through a six-month training program during which they manufacture beautiful, all-natural soaps and bath products and gain knowledge of the business aspect. Theirs is a mission I can stand behind, as TEK empowers women who have faced difficult circumstances to be self-sufficient, providing an opportunity to gain the skills necessary to do so.

After visiting to the website, where I discovered that the event registration was already closed (the event was that evening, after all), I messaged Marcy about volunteering. To my surprise, she told me that they still needed people to help out that evening, and I should come by the benefit.

It was a beautiful evening. Held at the Chicago Cultural Center, the venue was lovely and spacious enough to hold the great turnout. Numerous tables were set out with products and various packages for silent bidding. I was honestly feeling a little awkward at first, as Marcy hadn’t arrived yet, and I didn’t know anyone else there, but Jasmine, who began the program in November, walked up and engaged me in conversation and we had a great chat. She made me feel more comfortable in the room of strangers, was eloquent and out-going, and I really enjoyed hearing about her experience with TEK.

I met a number of other great women that evening—both volunteers and women finishing the TEK program. While I had to leave the event before the end of the night, I really had a nice time meeting these women, and learning more about TEK. I think it’s a great organization, and would encourage others to become involved and to check out the bath products, especially if you’re interested in women empowering women.

1 comment:

Emily said...

FYI, TEK closed its doors a couple of months ago, only about six months after this post. Sorry to see it go.

Post a Comment