Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Happy Ending, 2009

Last night after work, I headed out into the snow toward the Art Institute. I was only headed to the gift shop to check out their post-Christmas deals (their ornaments and calendars are half off!), but the journey was more exciting than the destination. It was a nice scene as the street lights on Michigan Ave. set the swirling snowflakes aglow around the pedestrians. I didn’t even mind the tourists blocking the sidewalks, because they all seemed to be enjoying themselves so much. And I love to see everyone bundled up in their own personal concoction of winter gear, faces ruddy with the Chicago wind, laughing, teasing, staring at maps… Cozy in my winter boots and wool coat, I moseyed around the Loop for another half an hour or so after dropping into the museum, drinking in Chicago, at night, with glistening snowflakes. And all I could think was that there’s no place else on Earth where I’d rather ring in the New Year.

In the spirit of the season, many thanks to those of you who faithfully continue to read my blog, even when I get too sappy, or fail in an attempt to be funny, or simply don’t have time to post often enough. I hope each of you has had a wonderful 2009 and that 2010 brings you joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment