Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Midwestern Thanksgiving

This is the best season of the year, rivaling even summertime in the city. While I’d been anticipating Thanksgiving for a couple of weeks, it all started, full-swing, on Wednesday morning.

That morning I actually got a seat on the train on the way to work. Commuter numbers were already dwindling in anticipation of the holiday. Everywhere I looked, someone was dragging a suitcase (not that this is unusual—people are constantly rolling suitcases around this city). As I headed through the Pedway, I didn’t experience the usual crush of suburbians that typically descend upon the train station, which meant that I didn’t have to weave through them precariously. The Tribune salesman was in his usual spot, his booming voice reminding me (as it does every day) that I could purchase one for just 50 cents. I just smiled watching the unusually slow pace of the people around me, and felt the light mood of the anticipation of the holiday break.

After a shortened work day, it took about an hour to get out of the city, even at 2 p.m. After that, though, the only slowed traffic was at the Ohio turnpike entry booths, where they still seem to be figuring out how to work their I-Pass (or EZ-Pass) system (I’m just glad that they finally got on board).

Thursday morning was portioned between the kitchen and the treadmill (okay, the kitchen actually got much more of my time). I decided not to be lazy and opt for deviled eggs (even though those are always a favorite) and tried a feta cheese pastry concoction I’d found on the Internet, after a long search for a good appetizer. Lucky for me, Kroger was completely dead on Thanksgiving morning (God, I love Kroger. I wish Chicago would get some), so I whizzed in and out with my four cartons of feta and stalks of green onion. After about an hour and a half in the kitchen, ta-da! I had managed to pull together my new favorite appetizer.

Thanksgiving is really inching up there, nearly beating out Christmas, as my favorite holiday. The two most important elements are there—family and food. In a typical year, there are rarely times besides Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday, when I get to see all of my family in one place, at the same time, with the added bonus of all the amazing food. This year didn’t disappoint: gigantic turkey, dressing, cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mom’s spinach dish, creamed spinach, green beans, grandma’s rice pudding, rolls, feta cheese pastries, apple pie, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and carrot cake. I definitely helped myself to two pieces of pumpkin pie (my favorite!).

Anyway, everyone was in good spirits. My cousins and nephew spent half the time chasing each other around with plastic guns and swords, while my little niece toddled after them, unsuccessfully trying to join in. My uncles and brother talked about cars, cameras, and computers. My mom and I spent considerable time keeping an eye on my niece, who likes to climb on everything (too bad we didn't burn off quite as many calories as she did!). I'd say that, all in all, it was probably your typical Midwestern Thanksgiving. And I'm thankful for that.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Em, you're such a great writer. I enjoy your thoughts! - Jennie

Post a Comment