Thursday, September 17, 2009

Considering Chicago’s Homeless Population

Two days ago, I was coming into my apartment complex through the alley, and I saw the garbage man locking up the trash cans. My initial thought was something along the lines of, “Seriously?” I know that that’s part of his job, but really, all I could think was that the transients I often see reaching into trash cans on the El platform were completely locked out. I mean, is it really necessary to lock up people's trash? But then again, I know the city has to be concerned about people sleeping in the dumpsters, let alone rummaging though, and I have to admit that being greeted by throngs of transients every day when I try to enter my apartment building is a little disconcerting. I understand the safety issues. Yet, there’s something absurdly inhumane about locking a dumpster closed.

The first time I ever visited Chicago, I was not prepared for the number of homeless on the streets (a lot of tourists are like this—I see the mixed reactions on their faces all the time on Michigan Ave., and watch them hand over loose change on the train). No one warned me about this before I came to the city that winter, and it broke my heart to see people standing out in the frigid February begging for money. Yet, I was simultaneously uncertain how to react. It's difficult to hand over money to someone you know nothing about, whether good or bad.

The day I moved to Chicago I had a scary experience with an irate homeless man. My roommates had taken me along with them to a free concert in Millennium Park, followed by a drink with their friends in Lakeview. On our walk back toward Uptown, I was verbally attacked by this man, who bee-lined for me, and screamed choice words to tell me that he was gong to kill me. My male roommate jumped between us and told him to back off, at which point the crazed-eyed man spat on my roommate’s shoes and continued his swift pace in another direction. I’d never been verbally attacked by a stranger before, and I’d never had my life deliberately threatened. My roommates assured me that they had never seen anything like that before, despite years of living in Chicago. I chocked it up to a fluke, and went on with my day. I did, however, purchase pepper spray the next day, and became rather wary of my surroundings and strangers in general.

I’m never sure how to feel about transients, and, specifically, what I can or should do about their situation. The economy sucks. And even when it doesn’t, there are honest people out of work and home. But at the same time, that man who came toward me screaming expletives at my face was clearly out of his mind, and if, in fact, he was high or drunk, I do not feel that I should contribute to that habit. Because I do not know who I'm dealing with when I bump into someone on the street, I am very wary of how to respond.

I know that people wind up on the streets for wide and varied reasons. What I don't know is what to do about it. If I give someone a dollar, he will probably still be homeless tomorrow, but maybe he will eat. Or maybe he will feed an addiction. I know some people who say, "Who cares what the person does with the money? That's their prerogative." I don't really agree with that philosophy. I don't want to help someone destroy him or herself.

If you live in Chicago, you see homeless men and women everyday. On the El; on the streets; outside your local Walgreens; on the intersections as you’re walking to work; sleeping in the underpasses. Do you give them money? Or do you just keep walking? This is a dilemma I face nearly every day, when I encounter someone who asks me for change.

Please read my follow-up post: Soup for You.

2 comments:

JS said...

Homelessness is an important topic, and so thirsting for consideration! But I balk at the use of the word bum, and I think we can be wary of the expectation that persons who are homeless "pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I keep in mind that I have little to no idea what they've been through, what they're going through, or what they're doing to work out of an undesirable situation, if they're in one; I reserve judgment as best I can. I'm gentle with myself when I consider how to react to someone in need: if I feel it's right in the moment to give money, I do, but more important to me is acknowledging them, no matter how they treat me or react to me. I probably look persons who are homeless in the eye more than anyone else I pass downtown, saying "No, sir" and "Hi, ma'am" and holding them in my heart, if that makes sense. I know people help me all the time--family, friends, and strangers--whether it's financially or emotionally, so if I can stay open, I think I have a better chance of being there for someone else, even if it makes me uncomfortable.

I remember reading once about someone (maybe from NY) who went to an island nation (sorry I'm missing the specifics), and showed an indigenous person a newspaper. There was a photo of a man who was homeless, and the islander inquired about him. The NYer explained that the man was begging, which caused the islander to request the man be brought to the island so that they could take care of him. The culture on the island was community-based, not individualistic, so homelessness was not the same issue we have here. I cherish that story and work to see the small steps Americans make in advancing to this higher state of love, family, and support.

EmsInTheCity said...

Thanks for commenting, Joy. I wish some others would share their opinions, too. (Not that all that many people read my blog, lol.)

I think that extending hospitality/generosity to the homeless needs to be more than just a person walking by and handing out a couple of dollars. I support community-based programs that provide housing, food, and other necessities to people who are in need of them. In fact, I have no qualms about giving money or time to those kinds of initiatives.

I applaud you for making eye contact and engaging with people on the street. Plenty of people just walk right by. No one should be made to feel invisible.

Finally, because of your comments, I have revised this post to eliminate the use of the word "bum." It was not my intent to be disrespectful, but merely to offer some food for thought as I attempt to grapple with my own feelings on a difficult social situation about which many people feel at odds. Thanks for making me think some more!

Post a Comment