Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Un-Chirish

Call me “un-Chirish” but I just couldn’t get into St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago this year (btw, that term, “Chirish,” is up there on my annoyance meter with people who pronounce Chi-town “Shytown”). To be fair, I’ve been under the weather, and am on a slew of meds including antibiotics attempting to eradicate a mysterious ear infection that has come back around for the second time in a month. Drinking any amount of alcohol (particularly green alcohol), just doesn’t appeal to me right now, and mixing it with meds probably wouldn’t be the best idea.

So, on Saturday, I didn’t even go to see the green river. Granted, once you've seen it once, you don't really need to see it again (see below pics of last year’s green river). I do have to admit, however, that I’m disappointed that I missed out on the chance to ride one of the river boats with Kat and watch as they dyed it green. That opportunity probably won’t come around again; but on the other hand, it was freezing cold and raining on Saturday.



Last year on St. Patrick’s Saturday, my mom was in town and we spent most of the day at Navy Pier at the annual flower show. It was much preferable to the drunken masses, which we only encountered briefly as we stopped to check out the green river before heading out of downtown. But I am no prude. On St. Patrick’s Day proper, 2009, you could find me sipping Guinness in an Irish bar with my friends, and we stayed out half the night. Yes, it was a Tuesday, but last year it didn’t matter—I was newly unemployed. So, I had a good time.


Right now, I’m watching the sun set out my window, while my uncomfortable ear continues its constant ringing. I grabbed a sandwich on the way home, and patrons of Division Street’s many Irish-themed bars were already spilling out of the doorways, clogging up sidewalks, and walking in front of buses in bunches of green. Part of me is the tiniest bit green (with envy, but not about the walking in front of buses part), but honestly, right now, I really just want to rest so that I feel good by the weekend. :)

***

Click here for the whole story on the Green Chicago River tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment