Thursday, February 18, 2010

World’s Most Beautiful, Nation’s Most Miserable?

Forbes can’t seem to keep Chicago out of its “America’s Most Miserable Cities” top ten list. At least we dropped to tenth place this year, as opposed to third last year. Yet, when I see places like Canton, Ohio on the list, I can’t help but wonder. Canton’s so small that I wouldn’t think it would even be in the running, not to mention the fact that, well, Ohio has several cities in almost exactly the same situation as Canton; honestly, many Midwestern cities have been facing the shrinking syndrome, and the recession only helped to exacerbate the urban break-down. Most of them make the top twenty (Forbes listed Toledo, Akron, and Youngstown), but I'm surprised to see Canton so high on the list. And to see Cleveland at the top, ahead of Detroit…shocking.

Of course, how do you really measure the "misery" of one city against another? And I question Forbes. Case in point: Forbes declares Chicago the nation’s tenth most miserable city today; yet, less than a month ago, they named Chicago to their list of the “World’s Most Beautiful Cities.” Most Miserable and Most Beautiful? To me, this is contradictory (are homelessness and crime and congested traffic beautiful?). I’m willing to bet that Forbes only publishes these things to drive traffic to their site anyway. And really, I can’t blame them. It works.

In a city like Chicago, where outsiders look in on the frigid winters, crowded roadways, political corruption, and crime, and shiver, most people on the inside will still tell you how much there is to love about this place. The winters are harsh, yes, but then summer hits and it feels luxurious. And public transportation (even if it has its problems), or Lake Shore Drive, allows you to bypass bumper-to-bumper traffic. Then of course there’s the architecture, the events, the culture, the foood

True, Chicago is far from perfect. And I do not wish to poo-poo the level of crime and homelessness that exist here. We certainly have our problems. Yet, there is also much to love about Chicago (though I realize that you have to be in a position economically to enjoy much of it). The pride in this city is quite astounding (as an example, look at how people continue to support the Cubs and the Bears). If it were so miserable, I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be over three million people living here, and more clamoring to get here everyday.

Check out this slideshow from the Chicago Tribune, for some pieces of what's not miserable about Chicago.

***

This post has been updated several times. I did a little more digging into the Forbes list, and changed my original assertions a little bit. Oh, and I had some spirited discussion with friends through Facebook that made me realize there were some key factors missing from my post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment